As a follow-up to my video and article on cooking awesome chicken wings in an air fryer, this article and corresponding video link, will cover oven baking/broiling hot wings in the oven.
Just like the air fryer recipe, this recipe is Low Carb and gluten free, with no flours, breading, or added sugars!
These wings are equally delicious, with the moist inside texture of a baked wing and the crispy delicious exterior of a deep fried wing, achieved by finishing under the broiler. The compromise being that they take a little longer to cook and require a little more attention during cooking than the air fryer. All in all, this is a great recipe for those that don’t have an air fryer yet and want to get cooking wings right away.
Unlike the air fryer recipe, which has a start to finish prep and cooking time of less than 20 minutes, this recipe will take about 45-50 minutes, start to finish, so be sure to plan accordingly.
- Fresh or defrosted chicken wing parts- 1-2lbs, divided with tips removed and discarded
- Garlic Powder (about 1tsp)
- Pinch Sea Salt (preferably fresh ground) (about 1 tsp)
- Pepper (preferably fresh crushed) (about 1 tsp)
- Hot Sauce of your liking (about ¼ cup)
- Olive oil (or cooking spray)
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees F
- Prepare wings- if whole, divide and discard wing tips (if necessary)
- Lightly coat baking dish or foil tray with olive oil or cooking spray
- Add wings (in single layer)
- Dust wings evenly with dry spices
- Splash each wing with enough hot sauce to cover generously
Baking the Wings
- Bake the wings uncovered for 25-28 minutes
- Remove from oven and change temp to broiler (let pre-heat to 520-525 degrees F)
- Turn wings over and re-splash with hot sauce to evenly coat every wing
- Return to oven to broil for 5-6 minutes
- Turn wings again and continue broiling for another 5-6 minutes to get the skin and hot sauce all crisped up
- Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with the pan drippings (hot sauce and drippings)
- Let cool a bit- Careful, they are molten hot at this point!